Frequently Asked Questions
"It is my passion and privilege to help educate and mentor holistic therapists and health seekers to discover how the physical properties and healing spirit of the plant kingdom bring well being to people at all levels of their being.”
Please note - If you are looking for personal education in aromatherapy view our classes at Normandale Community College, CenterPoint Massage School,Classes or at the Studio Classes. If you are a Health Care Facility looking to begin an Aromatherapy program at your site click here
Q: What can I expect to learn from your Level One Foundations Certificate?
I offer an information rich and practical skills immersion of the key concepts of clinical aromatherapy in a condensed format. By taking Level One Foundations you will understand the how to begin using essential oils effectively and within safe parameters as advised by the professional aromatherapy community. In Aromatherapy Foundations:
- You will learn the academic information that is necessary for understanding how and why aromatherapy works, how oils are extracted from the plants, important safety information, basic chemistry of essential oils, basics of the olfactory system, tips for purchasing and storing of essential oils.
- You will learn inhalation and topical application methods including how to incorporate the oils into salts, carrier oils, sprays, lotions, inhalers and more - in the appropriate strengths for safe use.
- Learn and practice how to properly assess therapeutic need, select oils & administration method that is safe for that persons unique needs, and how to follow up for successful use of essential oils.
- After completing Level one Foundations you are prepared with the key concepts and practical skills needed to take Advanced Applications workshops that cover topics such as Aromatherapy for Stress, Pain, Respiratory conditions, for bodyworkers, blending essential oils, and more.
Q: What will I learn in your advanced application course?
Aromatherapy Foundations Level 1 is a pre requisite for the Advanced Application classes, if you have training in aromatherapy already you may qualify for advanced applications - ask Jodi.
In Advanced Applications - You will learn and practice the practical skills from level one required to work with essential oils within safe and best practices for this beginning skill level. Advanced Applications workshops range from - stress reduction - mood and emotional uses, pain management, aroma acupressure techniques, and Eastern Energetics of essential oils. Each module covers a review of general physiology of each system, best fit essential oils and uses, and most workshops includes time to make a blend to take home with you.
Other classes- Occasionally I offer a shorter version of Level One called Beginners Prep / Aromatherapy Basics that runs just two nights at the studio. This is a fun way to learn some basics tools and get to play with oils. Great for the home user, and anyone just wanting to learn a little more about aromatherapy. Sign up for our newsletter to stay informed (scroll to the bottom of this page)!
Q: How are your courses different than an online aromatherapy school?
First of all, please understand that we are NOT a school offering a complete education in Aromatherapy. Please see below for links to AIA or NAHA for a listing of Schools.
I like to call what I offer for training and education - "A hands on, down and dirty immersion into the best practices of professional aromatherapy". It is somewhat of a "crash course".
This program provides the skills to assess, select, administer essential oils safely and effectively. Many people take our classes who already have a certification in aromatherapy from an online school in order to learn more hands on practical applications. It enhances what they know and provides depth of experience to their learning. But - If you need the "credentials" of a full certification program described below - go to a school.
In studying aromatherapy, an in-person course far exceeds online experiences. Here’s why:
- You are personally guided by an experienced teacher and practitioner.
- Aromatherapy is sensory exploration. Hands on learning with others will greatly enhance your experience and learning outcomes.
- You can continue your studies using books to expand your knowledge base.
- You gain insights and experience from classmates and their collective wisdom.
- Class time and exercises are designed to awaken and engage your intuitive abilities.
- You can touch, smell and feel the essential oils, carrier oils and supplies.
- You are in the working studio of a working Aromatherapist - with access to many oils, supplies and resources.
- You can explore and use my library of books, recipes, resources, as well as rare and precious essential oils.
Q: Will I be a Certified Aromatherapist after your course?
Yes and No. (see below) Currently, there is no state or national licensing or certification for Aromatherapists, similar to massage, herbalism etc. There is no governmental body that gives the designation or title of “Certified Aromatherapist” in the USA. That being said – certification, or a Certificate in Aromatherapy, means an individual instructor, school or institution awards you a certificate or continuing education credits that document your study time with them. The certificate documents the hours, exams taken or knowledge level achieved according to their criteria.
My certificate documents your hours, offers you continuing education credit - and shows your intention to learn and practice thoughtful, skilled aromatherapy. In the field of aromatherapy we do use the term Certified, Clinical or Holistic Aromatherapist. These terms do have an assumed level of education from a school offering full programs of training, exams, case studies and experience.
Q: How many hours of training are expected to be considered a Certified Aromatherapist?
To be considered a Certified Aromatherapist, Clinical / Holistic Aromatherapist, you would select schools or instructors that offer courses ranging from a minimum of 200 hours and up to 800 hours for more advanced studies. The average certification program is about 350 hours. For more information about the standard levels of training for larger programs, there are two professional organizations for aromatherapy. I suggest you visit both of them. If you want advice for which school might best fit your needs, you can schedule an aromatherapy consultation by phone with me.
- The Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA), of which I am a charter member and the Regional Director for my area. http://www.alliance-aromatherapists.org/
- The National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA). http://www.naha.org/standards.htm
Q: Is there a National Certification test, similar to Massage Therapist testing?
Yes. After a bare minimum of 200 hours of education from most courses, it would be expected that you would have enough training to sit for a national exam. This exam is called the Aromatherapy Registration Council Exam (ARC) and allows you to achieve a “Registered Aromatherapist” credential. ARC is an independent body that offers a test in the core body of knowledge expected as an Aromatherapist. This is a voluntary test, similar to taking the national certification test for massage therapy. Cost is $375, and the test is offered usually 1-2 times per year. Please visit their site for more information
Q:I am not a practitioner, so what benefits will I receive with the skills learned in your courses?
After working with thousands of students over the last 15 years I have seen the participants:
- Experience a deeper sense of well being for themselves and their loved ones.
- Become equipped with self care tools to handle common health conditions naturally without the side effects of prescription and over the counter drugs.
- Enjoy the fun, healing, engaging, uniqueness and inspiration that comes from classes. You learn self-care and well-being.
- Learn the core knowledge from the professional world of aromatherapy.
- Give introductory presentations on aromatherapy to their friends and work communities.
- Continue their education and become Certified Aromatherapists.
- Become the leader at their workplace and implement aromatherapy into nursing homes, massage and bodywork practices, acupuncture clinics, veterinary clinics, dentist offices, VA hospitals, mental health therapies, hospice programs, smoking cessation programs, chiropractic offices, and naturopathic offices.
Q: What can I do professionally with Aromatherapy training?
- Most people with aromatherapy training practice under the umbrella of other professions, such as massage or shiatsu therapy, chiropractic, nursing, naturopathy or acupuncture. They integrate oils into their practice to enhance or expand their services.
- Others are interested in using natural products made with essential oils for skin care and household cleaning.
- Many people learn how to create products, or teach others how to use essential oils and stop using chemicals on their skin and in their homes. I have seen aromatherapy students create soap and body care lines, pet care products and hair care lines.
- Some people are interested in the vibration /energetic aspects of the oils, and combine oils with sound healing, color therapy, music therapy, feng shui, reikii and other energetic methods.
Q: Is there a difference between the courses offered at the local colleges and your Studio?
Benefits of taking classes at Normandale range from getting the CEU's, southern Mpls location, timing, and some employers will pay for the class if it is from a state college. The benefits of taking it at the Studio are the environment, it is very comfortable, and you have access to all my resources, oils, books, and supplies. Depending on the workshop the length may be longer - more time to practice and play!
Q: Do you offer Continuing Education Credits for the courses from the Studio?
Yes. I offer a certificate of hours spent in a certificate form that can be submitted for approval to your boards or programs. I am approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a continuing education Approved Provider. CEU's are available for most but not all Workshops.
Q: What if I need CEU’s for Nursing?
In most cases, nursing boards have accepted the hours spent in my courses towards their continuing education hours. Of course you must check with you board to determine what is required for you. With the wide spread use and approval of aromatherapy in health care settings today, approval of hours spent in my classes seems to be accepted by most organizations.
Q: I can’t find the recommended textbook for your classes.
"The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy" by Salvatore Battaglia is the recommended textbook. Please note - you DO NOT have to buy this book for my classes. I strongly recommend that you do, but it is not needed for in class work. This is currently the most helpful resource book to have on hand because of its extensive range of information. Typical cost for this book new is around $120, and used prices are in the $100 range. Again, not needed for class, but it is my best recommendation for a great all-purpose aromatherapy book. You can order this book from my online store!
Top Reasons to Study with Jodi:
- Get hands on practical skills you can use right away, be safe and save money!
- Use any "brand" of oils you love, but learn HOW to use them wisely with me!
- Fluent in how to use oils with - shiatsu, massage, acupuncture, energy healing, qi gong, nutrition, in nursing, with feng shui, herbs, spiritual practices, intuitive skills, small business needs.
- Ongoing support and supplies for you to continue learning or implementing oils into your practice.
- 10% discount on oils for students - ongoing!
What Students are saying...
"Love Jodi's unique perspective on Essential Oils"
"Great hands on learning"
"I like that even though I am not very familiar with oils, I learned so much. I will be back for more classes"
"You have been a big inspiration. I have learned a lot from your class, and your on-going technical support when I have questions. I was intrigued by your oils and have found in my practice that they are indeed of superior quality. The services you provide are also wonderful, and I already have referred many people to you. Stay in business a long time… I need you!" - Michelle LaCroix - The Acupuncture & Pain Management Clinic, Inc.